If you want unique decorations, you need to make them yourself. Luckily, these wooden craft ideas are very simple. Find out how you can make original wooden frame crafts and Christmas decorations at home.
Chalkboards are one of the most versatile home decorations – they look good in just about any room. However you decide to use your chalkboard, make it your own with wooden frame crafts.
To make a chalkboard and a wooden chalkboard frame, just follow these simple steps:
- Prepare a piece of fibreboard. Measure a piece of fibreboard with a ruler, and cut it to size with an appropriate saw, such as a table saw or jigsaw. This is the base for your chalkboard.
- Paint the fibreboard. Cover the board with a layer of chalkboard paint. Once it’s dry, add another layer of paint.
- Prepare the frame. Measure and cut four pieces of casing moulding. Cut a 45-degree angle at the end of each piece.
- Decorate the frame. You can paint your wooden chalkboard frame with any colour you like. For a touch of class, use metallic colours like silver or gold.
- Glue the frame into place. Apply a small amount of wood glue or strong super glue like Loctite 60 Sec. All-Purpose Glue to the back of each piece of casing moulding. Glue the pieces around the edges of the fibreboard to make the frame. Press the case mouldings firmly together and into place on the chalkboard.
- Wait for the glue to dry. Check the product instructions for cure time, and avoid using your chalkboard until the glue is fully dry.
If you feel like a woodworking challenge, you could try making shelves or large decorations in the shape of a snowflake or tree. But for many wooden craft ideas, all you need is some scrap wood, paint, and super glue.
There are endless possibilities for wooden craft projects for Christmas, but here are some of the simplest:
- Christmas figurines. Paint and decorate some rectangular pieces of wood to make snowmen, penguins, reindeer, or even nativity scene characters.
- Wooden block Christmas tree. Use a table saw to cut rectangular pieces of wood into progressively smaller pieces. Paint and decorate the wood, then stack the pieces to make a DIY Christmas tree.
- Log Christmas tree decorations. To make your own rustic tree decorations, use a saw to cut a log into thin discs, then decorate. Add an eye hook and thread or ribbon, and hang them up on the tree.