Many adhesives don’t work as a polypropylene glue, which is what you need to bond polypropylene plastic successfully. Read on to learn more about repairing plastic objects and choosing the best glue for polypropylene.
Household items are made from a variety of plastics, including polypropylene. Food containers, buckets, bottles and bins are just a few examples of the countless common objects made of polypropylene. However, the very quality that makes polypropylene such a popular plastic – its strength and resilience – is also its downfall when it comes to repair. The average adhesive isn’t very effective for fixing broken polypropylene objects.
In order to successfully repair any item made of polypropylene, you’ll need a quality polypropylene adhesive. Most polypropylene glues are versatile and can be used to repair all kinds of plastics, so they’re ideal for carrying out multiple repairs. If you want to repair a variety of different plastic objects in one go, polypropylene glue is the solution you’ve been looking for.
To apply polypropylene adhesive effectively, just follow these steps:
- Prepare and clean. If necessary, use fine sandpaper to lightly roughen the surfaces you want to bond, increasing adhesion. Brush or wipe away any dust afterwards to leave them clean.
- Apply the polypropylene glue. Squeeze a small drop of glue onto one surface, then press it firmly against the other surface.
- Hold the surfaces together. If they need to be held together longer, use a clamp.
- Wait for the glue to set. Don’t use the object until the glue is fully set. Check product instructions for cure time.
- If necessary, remove any excess dried glue. Gently scrape it off with a hard edge such as an old credit card or spatula.
If you’re still left with some excess glue, get rid of it with a cloth soaked in acetone (commonly found in nail polish remover).
Avoid using glues that are not specifically labelled as suitable for polypropylene. Even a glue designed for use on most other plastics may not be compatible with tough customers like polypropylene or polyethylene.
If you want to buy a polypropylene adhesive that can also be used on other plastics, your best option is Loctite Super Glue All Plastics. This super strength adhesive is the best glue for polypropylene; it bonds in just a few seconds and dries transparent. It’s also the best adhesive for polyethylene – another plastic that’s notoriously tricky to bond.