Ready to get started on some Christmas crafts? We’ll show you how to make snowflakes from paper, so you can deck the halls and have some festive fun!
Making snowflake arts and crafts is one of the simplest and most satisfying seasonal crafts. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Square pieces of paper (white or silver)
- Glitter and any additional decorative material (sequins, stickers, small pieces of coloured paper, felt etc.)
Once you’ve collected your materials, you’re ready to begin! Here’s how to make snowflake crafts the easy way:
- Fold the paper in half. Make a diagonal fold, so the upper left corner meets the lower right corner.
- Fold into a triangular shape. Bring the top right corner to meet the lower left corner.
- Make two more folds. First, fold the left side of the triangle in, so the corner goes beyond the end of the paper. Then, fold the right side of the triangle, pulling it down. The piece of paper should now resemble an arrow with two flags sticking out at the end.
- Cut the end flags. Use a pair of scissors to cut the ends of the little flags in a straight line, so you’re left with a triangle.
- Cut shapes to make the snowflake. Use a pencil and ruler to trace shapes and patterns into the long edges, then cut them out. This will be the decorative detail in the snowflake. Make sure you don’t cut the triangle in half.
- Open the snowflake and lay it flat. Add any extra decoration you like, with coloured pens, glitter or any other materials. If you want to glue on any decorations, wait for the glue to dry before continuing.
- Turn over the snowflake. Decorate the other side so it matches.
Once you’ve made some snowflake crafts, you can attach them to the ceiling or a door frame with some string or ribbon, or stick them to the window, mantelpiece or bannister. They could also be used as original Christmas tree decorations.
Once you’ve learned how to make snowflakes from paper, try some new snowflake crafts with paper plates! They’re just as easy to make, and provide a larger, thicker canvas for decoration.
You’ll need the same materials as listed above, only with paper plates instead of sheets of paper. You might want to get more creative with your decorations, using paint, pieces of ribbon or fabric, buttons, felt, pom-poms, or anything else you might have to hand.
Here’s how to make snowflakes from paper plates:
- Fold a paper plate. Fold it in half, then in half again, and then a third time.
- Cut shapes. This will create the detail inside the snowflake. Take care to avoid cutting the plate in half.
- Decorate the snowflake. Open up your snowflake and decorate with paint, coloured pens, glitter….whatever you want!
- Wait for the glue to dry. If you’re using glue to stick on decorations, remember to let the glue dry before moving or displaying the snowflake.