If you want to know how to fix broken ceramic, the good news is that it’s an easy job! All you need is the right super glue. Read on to find out how to repair broken ceramic objects including ornaments, pottery and plates.
Here’s how to fix broken ceramic figurines and other objects in just a few simple steps.
- Clean and dry the pieces. They should be completely free from contaminants.
- Arrange the pieces. Check that you have all the pieces you need, and then dry-fit them.
- Apply the adhesive. Add a small amount of glue to the surfaces you want to bond. For smaller, lighter objects, application to one surface should be sufficient.
- Remove excess adhesive. Use a damp cloth to get rid of any excess glue.
- Wait for the adhesive to bond. Keep the surfaces pressed together and wait for the glue to fully bond before using the object. If you’re left with a bit of excess glue, scrape it off with a hard edge or knife, taking care not to damage the object.
How to repair a chipped ceramic mug
If you’re dealing with a small chip or crack, follow these steps.
- Clean and dry the mug.
- Apply a small amount of gap-filling adhesive. Then wait for the glue to dry.
- File the glue using a nail file for a smoother finish.
After you’ve repaired a ceramic mug with super glue, it may no longer be suitable for use in the dishwasher or microwave.
Broken ceramic can be sharp, so we recommend wearing gloves. This will also help to avoid accidentally spilling glue on your skin. If you don’t wear gloves, remember to wash your hands carefully once you’ve finished the repair.
So, now you know how to glue ceramic back together, you’re ready to get out the adhesive. But which one is the best for the job?
When choosing a super glue to fix ceramic objects, consider the following aspects:
- Is the adhesive compatible with ceramic? Read the product instructions carefully. If you use the wrong glue, it won’t bond well, and you might cause further damage.
- Are you repairing a chip or crack? Look for an adhesive that’s specially designed for filling gaps.
- Objects such as plates and mugs will obviously come into contact with food, and potentially go in dishwashers or microwaves. Check that the adhesive is safe to use.
- Do you want to paint over the repair? Make sure the adhesive can be painted.
Loctite Super Glue Liquid Universal is ideal for repairing ceramic. It’s a strong, versatile adhesive which is also waterproof and dishwasher safe. Perfect for fixing a broken plate!
If you’re carrying out a fiddly repair, try Loctite Super Glue Liquid Precision. It comes with a long nozzle, allowing you to make more precise repairs, and dries transparent for a smooth, professional finish.