Glue spills and stains needn’t be permanent. Our guide shows you how to remove glue from fabric easily, without damaging the material further. Find out how to get rid of that glue and save your clothes!
What removes glue from fabric? Actually, there are various techniques you can try in order to remove glue from fabric. Just wait until the glue has dried before you begin.
How to remove dried glue from fabric
Here’s how to remove glue stains from fabric easily.
- Scrape off the glue with a knife. Use a dull knife or scraping tool – nothing too sharp which might damage the fabric.
- Soak the stain in cold water. Then scrub gently with a damp sponge.
This technique should suffice for small stains. However, if you’re still left with a bit of residue, try these additional steps.
- Apply acetone. Use a cotton ball or cloth soaked in acetone to gently rub the glue stain. Try to avoid getting too much acetone on the fabric.
- Rub laundry detergent into the stain. Leave it to soak in.
- Wash fabric as normal. By the time you take the fabric out of the washing machine, the glue stain should be gone.
- Air-dry the fabric. Don’t use the tumble dryer unless you’re sure that the stain has completely disappeared.
Acetone (commonly found in nail polish remover) is very effective at removing glue from fabric and other materials. However, there’s a risk of slight discolouration on delicate fabrics, so test the acetone on a small, less visible part of the fabric first.
How to remove hot glue from fabric
Like super glue, hot glue is also easier to remove once dried. Get glue off fabric without causing any further damage by following these simple steps:
- Put the glue-stained fabric in the freezer. Leave it there for up to an hour.
- Scrape off the glue with a knife. Use a dull blade or hard edge to gently scrape off the glue residue, taking care not to damage the fabric.
You can also try the acetone method on hot glue stains.
If you use super glue regularly, it makes sense to have a special glue removal product on hand. Loctite Glue Remover is perfect for cleaning up a mess in a matter of minutes. You can use it to remove glue stains from fabric and all kinds of materials and surfaces. You can even use it to unstick your fingers! If you’re removing glue from fabric, just follow these steps.
- Cover the stain with Loctite Glue Remover.
- Place folded tissues on both sides of the stain. Leave it for a few hours.
- Remove the tissue and wipe the fabric clean. Wash and dry the fabric.
If the stain doesn’t disappear first time round, repeat the process.